Monday, July 03, 2006

What Bicycles Taught Me About Faith


When I was little I used to ride my bike a lot. I would ride all around my neighborhood and even down the road if I was feeling crazy. I would think a lot too. When you're riding a bike, thinking about life sort of comes naturally, because your mind has nothing else to do. I heard a lot about faith when I was a kid, especially growing up in the Church. I wanted to test it all out, you know, with the bike. Sometimes I would close my eyes while riding on the sidewalk, and pray that God would keep me from falling on my face. I could only do it for a few seconds though, because I got scared easily. A few times I ran into the plants and scraped up my legs. It hurt.

I've kind of doubted the whole faith thing since those days. I mean, I still believe in Jesus and that what He says is true. But I don't know if I really believe Him, you know? He says in Matthew 17 that if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, we can move mountains. Now I realize that Jesus is speaking figuratively here, but this statement really surprised me when I read it recently. Have I become so formulaic in my faith and way of thinking that I don't leave room for God's power? Have I become so jaded by all the bike rides in my life that I no longer really believe in the power of faith?

I'm reading a book now about a guy who was integral in starting up the house Church movement in China. It's almost hard to read, because I feel so convicted by a man of such strong faith, yet I am encouraged by it at the same time. In China, people are getting saved by the thousands, people are seeing visions that come true within hours; miracles and healings and many other ridiculous things that I've never seen with my own two eyes are happening. In the past I would have written these things off as false spirituality, emotional worship, and that sort of thing. But I am beginning to see that all things really are possible with God. Oh how we need to just open our eyes to see the work He is doing!

God says in Habakkuk 1:5, "For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." I realize this verse was not written to 21st Century Americans, but was intended for Habakkuk in his day; yet the principle remains. God is on the move. His Spirit is powerful and will accomplish the purposes of the One who sent Him. Oh how I long for faith! The kind of faith that Jesus says moves mountains; the kind of faith that sees miracles and visions for the sake of the Kingdom; the kind of faith that takes God at His word when He says He is going to do something unbelievable in our day.

God, what will you do? Do it even now Lord. Revive us. Forgive us for doubting. Give us faith as small as a mustard seed.

No comments: